From this page you can download the latest version of FOODfiles™. This provides the complete data set as a desk reference. For searching specific information we recommend you access target data via the online Search.
New Zealand FOODfiles™ 2021 (Version 01) replaces New Zealand FOODfiles™ 2018 (Version 01). Data are presented for 2,763 foods: 85 core components in the Standard Version and up to 360 components in the Unabridged Version.
Note: The Unabridged Version and some Records in the Standard Version do not contain values for every nutritional component for every food.
The manual provides more technical information about the data provided in the New Zealand Food Composition Database. To access the FOODfiles™ Manual, use the link below.
Links to Download and Archive
The downloadable version of FOODfiles contains files within a number of folders. These are available in two formats: as tilde delimited ASCII text files, and as Microsoft Office Excel® files.
- Principal files:
- Standard (85 core components)
- ‘Standard DATA.AP’ contains data in a table format
- ‘Standard DATA.FT’ contains data in a list format along with data provenance or source code (for information on data provenance/source codes see the ‘Data provenance.xlsx’ file and the FOODfiles manual)
- Unabridged (up to 360 components)
- ‘Unabridged DATA.AP’ contains data in a table format
- ‘Unabridged DATA.FT’ contains data in a list format along with data provenance or source code (for information on data provenance/source codes see the ‘Data provenance.xlsx’ file and the FOODfiles manual)
- ‘CSM.FT’ contains common standard measures along with density
- ‘INGREDIENT.FT’ contains data on ingredients used to create a recipe Food Record, the nutrient retention factor classification (where relevant) and preparation method
- Supporting files:
- ‘NAME.FT’ provides full food details including detailed description, information on edible portion, and sampling details
- ‘CODE.FT’ provides a list of the components included in the standard and unabridged datasets, their identifiers, units, matrix units (descriptions of Unit codes and Matrix unit codes can be found in ‘Data provenance Description.xlsx’)
- ‘NUTRIENT RETENTION FACTOR.FT’ contains the values for nutrient retention factors (NRFs) used where foods have been prepared (e.g. boiled)
- ‘WEIGHT YIELD FACTOR.FT’ gives the values for WYF for foods that have been cooked
- ‘CONVERSION FACTORS.FT’ gives the general conversion factors from published sources for nitrogen to protein and for fat to fatty acids
- ‘Data provenance Description.xlsx’ lists data derivation and other details: Unit Code, Matrix Unit Code, Data Source Code, Value Type Code, Acquisition Type Code, Method Type Code and Method Indicator
- Update files: these four files provide the details of changes made to the database since the release of FOODfiles 2018
- ‘New Food Records replacing the old Food Records in the latest version of FOODfiles.xlsx’
- ‘Food Records archived from the latest version of FOODfiles.xlsx’
- ‘Data added to or updated in the Food Records in the latest version of FOODfiles.xlsx’
- ‘List of components updated in the current version of FOODfiles.xlsx’
All files are provided via a Microsoft ® Windows ® installer. Use “My Computer” or “Windows Explorer” to browse to the folder (where you saved the installation program when downloading it) and double click on the installer FOODfilesSetup(.msi) to begin the installation. (NOTE: you may not be able to see the .msi extension, depending on your computer settings).
To install the New Zealand FOODfiles™ 2021 Version 01 data on a Windows computer:
- Click on the download link below
- When the File Download dialog box (“Do you want to run or save this file?”) appears, click Run
- If a security warning dialog appears (“Do you want to run this software”), click Run
If you don’t specify otherwise during the installation, New Zealand FOODfiles™ 2021 Version 01 will be installed in the folder \FOODfiles on your C: drive.
If you wish to remove New Zealand FOODfiles™ 2021 Version 01 from your computer:
- Open the Control Panel on your Computer using Start | Control Panel
- Choose Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista and Windows 7/8/10)
- Choose FOODfiles™ Data and follow the onscreen instructions.
This archive contains old versions of New Zealand FOODfiles™, which are provided as a reference source for those who wish to see the data as it was at a point in time.